The original Ku Klux Klan was founded here on December 24th, 1865 at the law office of Judge Thomas M. Jones. Pulaski, Tennessee.
The “Jolly Six” as they referred to themselves were former Confederate Army veterans. In 1917, the Daughters of the Confederacy placed this bronze plaque on the building to commemorate the Klan’s original gathering. The plaque remained on the building for over 70 years, until it the building was purchased in 1990 and the new owner reversed it with text facing inwards.
The plaque reads –
KU KLUX KLAN
ORGANIZED IN THIS,
THE LAW OFFICE OF
JUDGE THOMAS M. JONES,
DECEMBER 24TH, 1885
NAME OF ORIGINAL ORGANIZERS
CALVIN E. JONES. JOHN B. KENNEDY.
FRANK O. MCCORD. JOHN C. LESTER.
RICHARD R. REED. JAMES R. CROWE.